High-quality insulation of the building – the key to a comfortable life in the cold season. So the cold didn’t bother in the winter, the choice of material and insulation technology it is necessary to think in advance. This applies to all cases, including insulation of wooden house from outside. Consider what you should look for when choosing the right material and how to do everything on their own, if we are talking about a building made out of wood.
- 1 Insulation wooden house from the outside: the most common materials
- 2 Other materials used for external insulation of walls of the house
- 3 Benefits of external insulation of a wooden house in front of the internal
- 4. features of the technology facade insulation mineral wool
- 5 facade Insulation extruded polystyrene: material features
- 6 the Technology facade insulation with polystyrene foam with your hands
- 7 Technology insulation of wooden houses with polyurethane foam
- 8 Technology of warming of facades of foam: features of fastening material
- 9 How to make an insulation of the log home outside
- 10 Insulation of the Foundation slab: is there a need for this
- 10.1 Restoration and insulation on Swedish technology: features of the method
- 10.2 Selection of a suitable material for insulating base plate
- 10.3 Technology Foundation insulation extruded polystyrene
Insulation of wooden house from outside: the most common materials
Insulating materials there are many. Some of them are very popular among consumers, and some, on the contrary, are used rarely. Consider what characteristics determine the popularity, and what options are used more often than others:
- rock wool in slabs – lightweight and comfortable material, which is transported and can be cutting even with a regular knife. These plates are placed between the elements of the frame, and then cover with vapor barrier and waterproofing material from different sides. Most importantly – in the process of transportation of the mats to compress and not to stamp them, as they are easily deformed;
- cellulose fibre insulation material based on cellulose, which is pressed and Packed. For insulation it can help to use two options. In the first case, open the packaging remove the cotton, and slightly flexing her, rammed into the walls. Definitely say how good this method is difficult. Some manufacturers claim that this insulation you will not know the problem from 10 to 20 years. While denying the possibility of shrinkage and deterioration of the insulating properties of the material completely impossible. The second method is called wet as sprayed cellulose fibre insulation for walls, whereby the adhesion of the material to the frame and the risk of subsidence is excluded;
- the foam is a very common and cheap way to insulate the building. Its low cost due to the fragility, brittleness and the need to further tax its waterproof membrane, in order to avoid condensation. It is important that the insulation you need to buy only unpressed sheets of foam;
- polyurethane foam – a material composed of two separate components, mixed together under high pressure. When exposed to air, it behaves the same way as a conventional polyurethane foam – expands. Insulation of wooden houses with polyurethane foam is quite effective and reduces heat loss to a minimum. In addition, polyurethane has the ability to repel water;
- insulation of natural origin is a diverse mixture and of the plate, made on the basis of sawdust, straw, clay etc. the Cost of this method is low, but choosing this option, you need to be prepared to Tinker. To easy to use natural insulation materials can be attributed, perhaps, flax.
Other materials used for external insulation of walls of the house
In addition to traditional materials, there are several options which, though not yet gained such popularity, is still often superior to the characteristics already considered.
- Basalt slabs for insulation of the facade. The price is the only drawback, which can be found in this material. Despite the similarity with the mineral wool, this material is significantly superior to its technical characteristics. It provides excellent thermal insulation and thus able to withstand heavy loads and temperature changes. Over time, it does not lend itself to shrinkage and does not lose its characteristics. So considerable, in comparison with other materials, the cost is more than justified.
- Polystyrene is a material that is quickly gaining popularity, despite the fact that the market it has appeared recently. The material is extruded polystyrene, which is characterized by low weight and good moisture resistance. This allows you to use it without laying additional waterproofing layers.
- The heater “Arctic”, consists of synthetic fibres which are bonded together under the influence of hot air. The material is great for use in the most severe weather conditions. This insulation is considered to be breathable and provides good thermal regulation both in winter and in summer.
A useful tip! Working with any type of insulation material must use personal protective equipment to prevent inhaling into the respiratory tract and on the skin as it may cause irritation.
Advantages of external insulation of a wooden house in front of the internal
Choosing the right method of work on the insulation of a wooden house – the key to quality results. Internal insulation of houses is rarely used, as a thick layer of material will significantly reduce the area of the room. In addition, the insulation of walls in a wooden house from the inside will lead to the fact that the outer side of the walls would still be exposed to cold that will cause freezing of the wood.
Improperly performed work and non-technology insulation of a frame house can cause the tree will begin to rot and become favorable environment for the life of fungi and mold. That is why the method is no less important than the choice of a suitable for this purpose material.
But the outer insulation is also important to ensure that couples were free to go. Otherwise, the wood will deteriorate and to monitor the condition of the walls will be impossible.
The features of the technology facade insulation mineral wool
When installing insulation layer it is necessary to provide walls waterproofing. For this purpose great asphalt. Despite its low cost, it copes with its task. Initially, you need to cut out the strips and fasten them to the frame with staples. The step should not exceed 12 cm.
Sheets of glassine glue the overlap so that the overlap was about 10 cm, This allows to prevent condensation on the insulation material.
A useful tip! If after warming the house plan siding sheathing, it is necessary to ensure that between it and the insulation is still free space (approximately 30-50 cm). It will not allow moisture to linger in the frame.
When glassine paper is fixed, you can proceed to the installation of insulation. Mineral wool in this case is a great option as it is not prone to fire and easy to install. Most importantly, to have been correctly chosen thickness of mineral wool for insulation of walls. For moderate climates, this rate should be 80-100 mm, and for regions with severe winters it is possible to use a material thickness of 150 mm.
The technology facade insulation mineral wool involves the following sequence of works:
- need to measure the distance between the uprights;
- to the result add 5 cm seam allowance on each side;
- using a sharp knife cut the mineral plates for heat insulation to the desired size and put them on the wall on top of gidroizolyator;
- the joints between frame and insulation is additionally close cut wide strips of 3-4 cm.
Be sure the top is laid a layer of vapor barrier material. Perfect phenomenal that attaches to the frame with construction stapler. After this it remains only to sheathe the walls with siding or obraznymi boards depending on your desires and can be considered as the procedure of warming a wooden house outside of mineral wool completed.
A useful tip! To lay propanol must be strictly in the horizontal direction, while leaving the joints 5 cm so that the outside was foiled part.
Facade insulation extruded polystyrene: material features
Polystyrene has an extremely low thermal conductivity that makes it useful as an insulating material, applying for external wall cladding.
For the first time extruded polystyrene has been used in the United States, where he immediately gained popularity due to its characteristics. Its production involves mixing special formulation, consisting of carbon dioxide and freon with granular polymer. The resulting mixture is subjected to high temperature is fed into a special machine called an extruder. His task is to foam the composition and provide quality mixing of all components.
Obtained in the extruder, the mixture is formed in the plate, which solidifies, forming a lightweight and durable insulating material. The advantages of this technology insulation of walls with foam polystyrene from the outside, can be attributed to the low permeability of the material and also the durability and resistance to external factors.
According to the manufacturer, the service life of this material can reach 50 years, if observed a technology of stacking. The structure of the polystyrene is 90% air, which is enclosed in the cell.
Always use Styrofoam for external wall insulation, because the material has considerable volume, and internal isolation will lead to significant losses in free space. Considering the standard thickness of the polystyrene for thermal insulation of walls 80-100 mm or 30-40 mm, laid in two layers, the loss of useful space inside the house will be very noticeable.
This is not to underestimate the effectiveness of this method, as by the use of this insulator can save about 50% on paying heating. Although it must be noted the rather high price for the work. Wall insulation polystyrene foam on the outside with all the necessary finishing works, will cost 1300 rubles per 1 m2.
A useful tip! In order to achieve the desired effect, it is necessary to work at temperatures below 5 º C and maximum dry air.
The technology facade insulation with polystyrene foam with your hands
Like any work associated with warming the surface, it all begins with preparing and cleaning the walls of dirt and any excess solution. It could be the speakers of the fixtures and just the tabs that are not architectural design. When all the excess is removed, it is necessary to seal all cracks and crevices and primed surface.
When preparation is complete, you must install the vertical deflections. To make it easier using nylon cords fixed with a step of 0,5-0,7 m. With their help, you will be able to see if on the wall, dips or bulges and if necessary, add more glue. Sometimes you have to slightly change the shape of the plate, using a special grater.
A useful tip! So the end result looked aesthetically pleasing, check each stacked element using a level.
The technology facade insulation with foam polystyrene provides that fastening elements are produced on special adhesive mixture. It is cooked according to the instructions that comes with it. It is important to use the prepared solution within 1.5 hours if the ambient temperature is not too high. In hot weather this period is reduced to 40-60 minutes.
The adhesive is applied on the plate at the edges, and also to five locations in the middle, regardless of what thickness of polystyrene is selected for the insulation of walls. It provides its secure attachment to the wall surface. If you have to fix insulating material on a perfectly smooth surface, then applying the solution it is best to use a comb spatula.
If you have to pack not one, but two layers of expanded polystyrene, setting is done so that the seams do not match. In addition, you’ll need to seal all the cracks between the plates using small pieces of the same material, or liquid form. Foam for this purpose is not recommended. But if between elements there are some differences in the places where they come into contact, to eliminate this by using the same grater.
At the end is also mechanical fixing of insulation boards to eliminate the risk of delamination from the surface. Based on 5-6 of fasteners on the sheet are fixed with disc dowels.
Technology insulation of wooden houses with polyurethane foam
Unlike expanded polystyrene, mineral wool and other insulation, the technology of spray polyurethane foam involves the very complex procedures involving the use of expensive equipment. The thing is that the coating possessed desirable characteristics and was resistant to external factors, mixture components of the solution must be submitted under the influence of very high pressure.
Vapor barrier for walls of wooden houses: materials and features of installation
The main materials used for vapor barrier, their pros and cons. Features of installation of a vapor barrier inside and outside the wooden house.
However, such conditions is justified by the fact that the service life of the insulation is 30 to 50 years. In addition, making the choice in favor of this option, you can provide a home not only heat preservation but also excellent sound insulation, which can not boast of no other material used for insulation.
Another quality polyurethane foam – the ability to take any form that makes it convenient to its use on the relief surface of the walls and beams.
However, to do all the work yourself, most likely, will not work, as costly hardware is more than justified. Much better to invite specialists.
Application of polyurethane foam on the exterior walls of the house as follows:
- at the agreed time the team of professionals comes to your home in a van, inside which there is all necessary equipment and components necessary for mixing;
- to the places where you will be spraying, stretch hose, through which is supplied the ready mix;
- a smooth layer of polyurethane foam is applied on the prepared surface of the wall;
- after curing, all excess and removed and stripped.
Like any other insulation, polyurethane foam is noted for its excellent finishing. Using reinforcing mesh in the future can be applied over the plaster. But if in advance to prepare the frame, it is possible to do the siding trim.
The technology facade insulation foam: features of fastening material
The fastening elements of the foam to the wall – a task that requires attention in the case, if the decision is made in favor of this material. The work is to begin with the installation of vertical canopies of the cord that will help you exactly to place the first element.
According to the technology of home insulation foam on the outside mounting with a special adhesive, which is applied to the foam at the edges, and also at five points inside. This ensures reliable fixation element. Thus, the whole heater is mounted. And in order to provide the extra strength, you can use more and plastic dowels, fixing the sheets.
Technology insulation of walls outside foam with your hands is one of the most simple and familiar as this material is often used for a variety of construction works and every, one way or another, faced it in everyday life. So the main task is to choose the right thickness of foam for insulation of the outside walls of the wooden house and to secure the material.
Obviously, to stack sheets in such a way as to avoid crevices and gaps impossible. Therefore, they must be repaired with foam. The next stage is the plastering of the surface and laying reinforced with wire mesh. This will protect the wall from destructive effects of external factors. However, a single layer there will be little need to apply at least two layers of ordinary and one of plaster to give the building an aesthetic appearance.
How to make an insulation of the log home outside
For insulation of houses of timber best suited to tough tile materials as they have sufficient density and are not subject to shrinkage over time. It is also important to choose the right thickness of the insulator. For example, for walls with thickness 20 cm is enough for layer of thin material – see 5 And if we are talking about the insulation of houses from timber 150×150 outside, it is better to give preference to the insulation material with a thickness of 10 cm.
To begin with the work is the treatment of surfaces with mastic, which is water repellent. After this you need to install a wooden frame, which will hold the insulation and will be the basis for fixing finishing material.
A useful tip! All the timber frame elements need to process antiseptic that prevent decay and protect wood from moisture.
For insulation of houses of timber is best suited basalt wool, which is attached to the wall surface with screws. Mounts should be placed based on 4-6 pieces per 1 m2. On top must fit into the diffusion membrane, which performs the role of gidroizolyator.
The wooden frame is nailed slats with a thickness of 5 see Their task to create a ventilation gap, which does not allow moisture to accumulate. And already to the rails is mounted a finishing material.
The cost of façade insulation with different materials can be very different. A lot depends on how serious cost requires to manufacture a heater. And sometimes in mind have to make and the need to purchase additional materials such as steam – and waterproofing layers if you need them.
For example, the price for facade insulation using polystyrene will be about 1600-2000 rubles per 1 m2. But it is the case that all work will be done by a professional. If you do everything yourself, you can save considerably, because the cost of most conventional sheets does not exceed 30 rubles, but sometimes that need a more durable and thick material.
Insulation of the Foundation slab: is there a need for this
Another way to insulate a house is to use modern materials for finishing the Foundation slab, which, like the walls, is often the source of the freezing of the building and may eventually begin to collapse under the influence of external factors.
For many, the need for insulation of the Foundation slab is justified even to save significantly in the future, spending on home heating in 1,5-2 times less resources.
However, simply purchasing and attaching a heater will not be enough. It is necessary to ensure proper functioning of the system and worked out a way to remove the moisture and to prevent development within fungi, mold, and corrosion processes. This requires precise engineering calculations that will allow you to make a point outside the contour of the main part of the building.
In addition, it is impossible not to take into account the phenomenon of swelling soils, which is typical for the winter period and can create significant pressure on the ground elements of the building. Therefore, among the tasks of insulating material for the base plate, and even protection from such shocks.
Restoration and insulation on Swedish technology: features of the method
Insulation of Foundation plates according to Swedish technology one of the best foreign technology, which became available in our area not so long ago. Consider what the advantages of this method, and what are its main technology:
- the technique proposes to create a single solid construction, consisting of reinforced cast concrete, equipped with stiffening ribs. Installation is done on a special pillow, which is surrounded by foam polystyrene plates;
- at the bottom of the heater and on either side of him, fall asleep sand;
- provides for the installation of a special system of collection and drainage of water drainage;
- in order to reduce the load on the drainage system, provided the pavement;
- inside the house will be provided with a floor heating system embedded in the Foundation at the stage of its construction.
Interestingly, in Sweden, this technology uses more than half a century, but in Russia, it was used not more than 10 years ago. But even during this short period became apparent some features of this technology:
- this method is great for building one-storey and two-storey houses. But if we are talking about building tall buildings, it would require a large number of calculations, and the resolution in all official instances;
- still in the design phase care should be taken to avoid the risk of flooding of the building. With this purpose, install the sand bedding to the required height. To determine the necessary parameters, taking into account the statistical data are considered official for a specific region;
- it is necessary to consider the individual characteristics of the area in which the construction and based on available data, the use of standard or enhanced drainage and waterproofing system;
- if you have construction on the soil in which sand predominates, the installation of water drainage there is no need;
- as in all other cases, when it comes to working with concrete, to carry out all works recommended in the warm season, as temperature greatly increases the risk that the resulting design in the end will not be sturdy enough;
- even if that will be attracted by a team of specialists for the implementation of this technology takes time. It usually takes 3 to 4 weeks.
It is interesting to know! When the condition of the quality of all work on warming and availability of the system “warm floor”, even in the case of a complete shutdown of the heating, the heat in the house will be kept for 72 hours.
The choice of a suitable material for insulating base plate
Taking the decision to use Swedish technology, one must understand that to implement not suitable for all materials that we used to use as insulation. In the first place, consider those that are categorically not suitable for this purpose:
- Mineral wool and various others. Not possessing sufficient rigidity and strength, they are also prone to water absorption, which is unacceptable in such conditions.
- Expanded clay and other granular materials. Their main problem is inability to form a dense layer around the Foundation, because of this they absorb moisture.
- Foamy polymers, which are produced directly on construction sites. Although in this case, definite ban no, this technology requires great expertise and sophisticated expensive equipment. Even though the presence of these factors still cannot guarantee success.
Based on the foregoing, it becomes obvious that the ideal option for insulation of Foundation house from the outside is polystyrene. Its characteristics correspond to all the requirements that apply to the material for the solution of all tasks.
Among these properties is the following:
- standard dimensions of each panel facilitate their installation, allowing to make calculations according to reports, and ensuring quality and smooth joints;
- some manufacturers produce plates that include sides special grooves, which further ensures the tightness of each joint;
- the material is very durable and totally moisture proof;
- high thermal insulation properties allow for high-quality insulation, not stacking many layers of material or one, but too thick. Will be enough one layer of the plates with standard thickness.
It is also possible to make insulation blind area of the extruded polystyrene, which further reduce the total heat loss from the building through the Foundation and will provide additional savings.
Technology Foundation insulation extruded polystyrene
The process of insulating the basement slab consists of several stages. Look at each of them, paying attention to the nuances and difficulties that may arise in the installation process.
For this type of work is sufficient is the use of foam polystyrene with a thickness of 10 cm. the Only requirement is that the material should be of high quality and purchased from a reputable manufacturer.
A useful tip! Purchasing any building materials, including Styrofoam plates, it is better to ask the seller a certificate on the offered products. Before you make a purchase, you must ensure that the product meets all specified standards.
Site preparation is to evaluate the existing geological features of the land and type of soil, which will have to work. In the process of digging holes under the Foundation, care should be taken that the bottom was as smooth. On the final stage it is recommended to dig the recess by hand.
On the bottom of the pit poured a layer of sand, which must be compacted. Then, you install temporary formwork and the pouring of the first concrete layer. At this stage it does not have any elements for reinforcement.
After hardening of the first layer of concrete placed on top of foam slabs, which are arranged in two layers in a checkerboard pattern. All joints and seams be sure to close up, to eliminate the possibility of ingress of moisture. All this on top of it is a layer of tough plastic film, stacking her lap and carefully saleeva the joints with tape.
It remains only to make a fill main part of the basement, which provides for the mandatory presence of the reinforcing elements and is conducted according to standard techniques. After full curing of concrete with a special adhesive to all mechanical parts attached Styrofoam plates.
As you can see, the technology Foundation insulation extruded polystyrene is not too complicated, if you pre-read all requirements for content and order of work.
The fact that the outer insulation of wooden houses are significantly ahead on the effectiveness of internal, have repeatedly been proven in practice. Although much clearly depends on the correct selection of insulation material and observance of all technology requirements. Fortunately, the modern market is sufficiently rich and is able to offer customers a wide choice of materials for thermal insulation of wooden houses.