Laminate flooring is a relatively new, but already gained popularity among large number of buyers flooring option. It features not only high performance but also considerable ease of installation. Step by step guide to laying laminate with their hands will allow you to mount the cover, even if you have no skills in the field of repair and finishing works.
- 1 Structure of laminated panels
- 2 Laying laminate flooring: schematic floor leveling
- 3 Mounting the substrate and the insulating layer
- 3.1 step-by-Step instruction: how to install DIY laminate flooring to linoleum
- 4 step by Step guide to laying laminate with their hands: the choice of an appropriate layout and make calculations
- 4.1 Necessary tools
- 4.2 Possible methods of joining panels
- 5 step-by-Step video instruction laying laminate with their hands: different methods of installation
- 5.1 the Advantages of the floating method of installation
- 5.2 the Intricacies of laying laminate flooring diagonally
- 5.3 Laying laminate with facet
- 5.4 How to lay laminate without thresholds
The structure of laminated panels
The design of the laminate consists of several layers, which are connected in the panel. Each side of this panel there is a special locking device, which allow you to quickly and easily connect them to each other.
This design features the coating is very sensitive to base, that is, the slightest unevenness of the ground, which is laid laminate, can lead to loosening and premature wear of locks. And this, in turn, leads to the formation of cracks, accumulation of dust and dirt, and other unpleasant consequences.
The structure of the laminate includes the following layers:
- the top layer consists of a heavy-duty anti-static material, assumes the primary mechanical load;
- layer acrylate resin – enriched with special mineral particles for increasing the strength;
- impregnated paper decorative layer, which provides the aesthetic appearance of the coating;
- the adhesive layer bonds the upper layers with the base;
- the basis of plastic with a thick layer, equipped with waterproofing. It also is the original click system laminate.
Laying laminate flooring: schematic floor leveling
Permissible roughness of the floor when laying laminate flooring should not exceed 2 mm for every 2 m2 of surface area. For example, slope in the range of 4 mm to 2 m2, but this floor is not recommended to install furniture and other interior items. When laying laminate flooring on uneven floor will inevitably be skewed, which can close the Cabinet doors.
When preparing the floor for laying laminate alignment option depends on the material of the base. General tips for aligning include:
- the old concrete surface is subject to overhaul. The cracks are expanded and filled with cement mortar, large recesses are required to fill self-leveling mortar. At the end of the floor is sanded or filled with screed;
- in the wooden floor replaced the defective Board or is the alignment with plywood;
- cement screed primed with a special compound;
- plywood or wooden floor is polished with special equipment to eliminate minor irregularities.
A useful tip! All types of flooring before laying the laminate should be thoroughly washed and vacuumed.
Choosing the best alignment option of the floor, you need to focus on criteria such as the quantity of effort and time and financial costs.
Assembling the substrate and the insulating layer
When laying laminate flooring is extremely desirable that the floor in contact with the surface, which releases moisture. This requires the additional installation of special layers that will absorb water and prevent steam condensation. As such layers is well suited to the special diffusion membrane or layer of polyethylene thickness of 20 mm. Sheets of material it is necessary to lay overlap of 20 cm, and between themselves their best to connect with duct tape.
The installation of the waterproofing layer is required if you are mounting the laminate on a concrete base. This definition includes the following options for base coat:
- directly the concrete floor, which is characterized by the presence in solution of crushed stone or gravel;
- cement-sand screed;
- the factory slab and monolithic the overlap.
The lifetime of a concrete floor does not matter, so as to spare the moisture can both the new and old paint. The installation of the waterproofing layer will protect moisture-sensitive laminate from deforming, thus, this point must be taken into account in the calculation scheme of laying laminate.
Almost all instructions on laying laminate blurts out that the substrate must fulfil the following functions:
- maintenance and static floor;
- the alignment of minor faults;
- protection from moisture;
- protection of the bottom side of the laminate from abrasive wear.
As such a layer can act as an ordinary linoleum.
Nut for tile and laminate how to put it between covers. The choice of decorative door. Laying laminate flooring in the kitchen. The combination of tiles and laminated wood to create an original interior.
Step by step instructions: how to install DIY laminate flooring to linoleum
Video instructions for laying laminate on linoleum show that for high-quality mounting coverage is necessary to accurately adhere to the established technology. To start the flooring panels should in the direction of the window, perpendicular to it. To between the laminate and the wall was a gap, you need to install special spacers.
A useful tip! Expansion should be within 10 mm. It is used to ensure that the cover can expand and shrink with temperature changes or humidity levels without deformation of the surface.
After the first row of the covering mounted, it is necessary to crop the short panel. If the cropped portion is longer than 50 cm, it can be installed in the second row, and thereby minimize the amount of waste. Board of the second row are applied to the adjacent panels at an angle of 45 degrees. The last panel is mounted with special clamps that allows it to maintain the stationary state.
To protect the expansion gap when laying laminate flooring, after installing all the panels on the linoleum plinths are established. If you plan to hide them wires and other utilities, it is recommended to use the model of the baseboards with special channels.
The thickness of the substrate depends on the thickness of the laminate panels. This means that for panels with thickness of 9 mm, the substrate should not be thicker than 3 mm. In the instructions that came with each particular model of flooring, there are recommendations on the choice of substrate on which to build. Thus it is necessary to consider the peculiarities of laying laminate floating manner, that is, when the panels are connected only among themselves and not attached to the Foundation and the walls.
Step by step guide to laying laminate with their hands: the choice of an appropriate layout and make calculations
There are three main areas of the layout laminate:
- Longitudinal – surface mounted parallel to the stream of sunlight from the window. The easiest and most popular layout option.
- Cross – allows you to visually enlarge the floor area, the panels are located across the room (parallel to the wall with the window).
- Diagonal is the most difficult direction in terms of installation, which allows for even more cross than to increase the area of the room.
If the laminate is laid on the wooden floor, the bar should be placed perpendicular to the floorboards. And in order to minimize the material consumption, it is recommended that before installation, draw by hand the layout of the room with its size. It applied all the doorways and niches-shaped deformation of the ledge, and then considered how many panels you need for paving. Thus it is necessary to consider both the number of whole panels and the possible use of scraps.
Photos ways of laying laminate flooring will help you understand which option is best suitable for your room. For calculations you can use the special construction calculators that can be easily found on the Internet.
What you need for laminate flooring quickly and effectively? You will need the following tools:
- roulette, construction area and level to ensure smooth installation;
- construction knife, jigsaw or hacksaw for cutting panels, plinths and beams;
- pencil to put the marks on the walls and panels;
- hammer to secure the panels.
Buy a set for laminate flooring can be in any hardware store, and the use of these tools does not require special skills.
Possible ways of connection of panels
The elements of the laminate can be interconnected in several different ways:
- lock-locks – special clips, the use of which the crest of each following panel cover is inserted into the groove of the previous one. This is done strictly vertical or horizontal, and to improve the reliability of the docking connections, it is recommended to tap with a hammer or lubricating adhesive;
- double-click-locks – ridge of the next panel, not just inserted into the groove, but is clipped by the application of a small effort. This connection option is safer and does not require additional strengthening;
- adhesive method – recently rarely used. If you use this method and end part side of each of the panels pre-treated with glue.
When laying laminate with their hands step-by-step manual has minor differences depending on whether you are assembling the rows, adding a ready-made number, or individual panels. The second option is easier to exercise alone, and the first requires less time.
Step-by-step video instruction laying laminate with their hands: different methods of installation
Once you have carried out the levelling of the floor, bought all the necessary tools and decided on the appropriate connection system of the panels, you can proceed directly to installation of flooring.
Any type of installation in which there is a serial connection of one Board with another is called laying laminate deck method. The deck laying is suitable for all types of laminate, and also different from the curly material savings and ease of operation. Styling deck method is not required to perform complex calculations and often to trim panel.
If you are doing styling piece, then the sequence of actions is as follows:
- the first panel is placed a lock on itself, the crest of the wall. Between the wall and the panels are set wedges for the formation of the gap;
- the first panel joins the second and so on;
- between the aligned panels should not be gaps or differences in height. Longitudinal edges should also be flush;
- in order to connect the common edge of the panel by inserting at an angle and then bring it by pressing until it clicks;
- mechanical locks can be connected horizontally or vertically;
- scrap the last panel in the first row is placed at the beginning of the second.
A useful tip! Video of laying laminate flooring will help you to perform all actions quickly and efficiently, and insure against common mistakes. To find video instructions on many specialized sites.
When laying laminate flooring in the ranks you need to do the following:
- the first row is assembled from panels with pre-cut ridge. Series fit the lock on itself. The first row is not necessarily placed close to the wall;
- the first row joins the second, both the number of puts to the wall, set wedges for the formation of expansion;
- the same technology join the next series.
- under the door frame laminate starts so that between the floor and the doorposts formed a gap. With this purpose, a box stand rasp from the bottom to the thickness of the laminate.
If half passes the pipeline, in the place of its passing through the laminate must be drilled a hole with a diameter of 2 cm large diameter of the pipe. This is done in order to freely “float” with temperature changes or humidity.
The advantages of the floating method of installation
If you select any scheme of installation of the cover, you can attach the laminate to the floor with a special construction adhesive, and can choose laying laminate floating method. This method means that the panels of material are fastened together, but does not attach to the base.
The caveat here is that for every 10 to 12 linear feet of coverage it is necessary to provide expansion joints that will not allow the laminate to deform with temperature changes in the room. In addition, between the wall and the laminate should also include special clearances, which can be hidden under the baseboards.
The floating method will give you the following advantages:
- if during Assembly a mistake is made, the coating can be easily disassembled and reassembled. Most manufacturers claims that it can be done up to three times;
- damaged or deformed in the process of operation panel can be easily replaced with a new one;
- stacking the deck way easier than glue. In the photo laying laminate thus shows no difference with other mounting options;
- operation the floor is possible immediately after the installation of flooring and skirting boards, no need to wait until the glue dries.
In addition, installation in a floating manner directly on the prepared screed with advanced use of the insulating substrate.
The intricacies of laying laminate flooring diagonally
The main feature of the paving on the diagonal is that the panels are located at an angle of 45 degrees to the walls. Video of laying laminate flooring diagonally with his own hands shows that you start the installation from the center of the room, and then to move in any convenient direction. Near the walls, as when laying other ways, it is necessary to leave an expansion gap of about 15 mm.
Also in the video of laying laminate flooring diagonally, you can see that prior to mounting between the opposite corners of the room pulled the thread. This is done in order to lay the first row of uncut panels. For cutting later, you can use a jigsaw or hacksaw.
A useful tip! Do not dispose of the panels that you cut with the left side of the row, they will be useful when styling the right side.
For a diagonal installation, it is important to consider expansion in the context of corners, which then will fit against the wall.
Laying laminate with facet
The laminate with beveled differs from the conventional in that the edges of the upper part bevelled with two or four sides. This allows the laminate to be similar to the flooring of natural wood, but also protects the edges from delamination and shearing in the process of operation.
In the video, laying laminate with facet noticeable that the installation of this type of flooring is no different from installation of conventional laminate. Under the panel with a chamfer, you also need to mount the substrate layer, the base preferably the maximum level, and the laying can be carried out in parallel, perpendicularly or diagonally.
How to lay laminate without thresholds
Installation of cover without thresholds is one of the popular ways of laying laminate flooring. Before you choose this option, consider the number of emerging nuances:
- when laying laminate flooring without thresholds throughout the apartment to make the joints, if the total area exceeds 50 m2. Otherwise, the coating may swell, most often happens in doorways;
- it is highly recommended not to use a non-threshold method if the floor area exceeds 120 m2;
- before starting the installation, be sure to measure the height of the door. The gap between the door leaf and the laminate should be approximately 1 cm.
- in the room in which you are laying, should be low humidity levels, otherwise the coating will swell and deform, and the subfloor must be as level as possible;
- as in the case of conventional laying laminate flooring, installation of the necessary insulation of the substrate. It may be a polyethylene foam, cork sheets or textured cardstock, stacked in several layers. The recommended substrate thickness is 2-4 mm.
Many videos of the self-laying of laminate demonstrates that the installation of cover without thresholds, as with other methods, it is possible to fasten together the panels. Select the connection with glue is that if the styling is done indoors with high humidity and high pollution. Then the joints get sealed between them will get dust and water. The locking method is good because it is faster, and the panels adjacent to each other tighter.
A useful tip! Mounting adhesive eliminates the possibility of the laminate, so try to avoid errors during installation.
The most difficult moment in laying no thresholds are areas in the door openings. First, boards in adjacent rooms should be laid in the same direction, so you will visually expand the space. Secondly, the door frame should do podpili there, where its stand will be to go coated. Video self-laying laminate without thresholds will help you make all correctly and to avoid common mistakes.
Choosing a suitable method of laying floor covering such as laminate, it is necessary to consider all the nuances of the premises, the characteristics of the selected panels, and take into consideration your skills and capabilities in the construction plan. Taking into account all these points you will be able to make a perfect floor covering with their hands.