The living space on the space the attic space has long ceased to be rare. More and more home owners are interested in how to correctly carry out repairs to life “under the roof” was no less comfortable than in the house. Consider how to make the attic insulation if the roof is already covered, what materials are best suited for this purpose and the nuances necessary to pay attention to.
- 1 the attic Insulation from the inside, if the roof is already covered: preparing the room
- 2 the Best materials for insulation of attic with their hands
- 2.1 the attic Insulation foam: the pros and cons of the material
- 2.2 the attic Insulation EPS: advantages, disadvantages and features
- 2.3 the attic Insulation with mineral wool inside: a worthy alternative to PENOPLEX
- 2.4 roof Insulation from inside with glass wool: whether to use this material
- 2.5 Insulation of the roof of the attic inside your hands with the use of stone wool
- 2.6 the attic Insulation with cellulose wool is one of the most effective ways of dealing with the cold
- 2.7 attic Insulation with polyurethane foam: the fundamentals of technologies and material features
- 2.8 the attic Insulation inside your hands using the heat insulation material is laid
- 3 the attic Insulation inside your own hands: video and stages of work
- 4 Main mistakes in the process of attic insulation
- 5 attic Insulation mineral wool inside your own hands: video instruction
The attic insulation from the inside, if the roof is already covered: preparing the room
The attic is not just a habitable attic. There are some rules that distinguish these two areas from each other. First, the roof of the attic must have a bias. Also, the established normal room height shall be not less than 2.5 m.
Focusing on the attractive appearance, many take the decision about the arrangement of the attic. But in reality we have to deal with some nuances, to see with whom, preferably before commencement of work:
- the materials used for the construction of the attic, directly determine the heat loss in this room. Therefore, their choice should be approached very seriously;
- equally influenced by correctly selected engineering solutions, which allow to provide on the top floor with all necessary communications;
- a significant role is played by the shape of the roof. It can be lean-to, gable or broken;
- in order to hide load-bearing elements of the roof, will have to show imagination;
- the attic can be located not only on site but also to go beyond it, leaning on column.
Each of these aspects has an impact on the approach that will be required for quality insulation of the roof. But the main role still belongs to the two main materials – heat – and gidroizolyator. On the one hand, the space under the roof is the coldest area of the structure. Another strong difference between the temperature inside and outside is often the cause of condensation, which is destructive to the materials.
The best materials for insulation of attic with their hands
For internal insulation of the attic, there are many suitable options. But your choice should be made based on the characteristics of region of residence and characteristics of construction concrete roof, which was to work with. Consider what options exist today and what features are characteristic for them.
The attic insulation foam: the pros and cons of the material
Foam is one of the best known insulators, which takes its place among the best insulation materials. Its price is really much lower than many others, but this is not its only advantage:
- the foam does not absorb moisture. If the material is to pre-process specifically designed for this impregnation, the water simply flows across the surface down;
- light weight is another advantage which greatly facilitates transport and installation, and reduces the load on the roof;
- the thermal conductivity of the foam is very small, so with their direct functions, he manages more than a full;
- the foam is easy to cut and fasten. This allows you to work with him even in the absence of any experience.
Interesting! Cost-this method can be compared with the ceiling insulation of expanded clay, although now this method is used less often.
Based on these characteristics, we can conclude that the foam is almost a win-win option when it comes to attic insulation from the inside. But the insulation foam on the inside also has disadvantages, and sometimes they are more substantial advantages:
- water vapor permeability of the foam is at a very low level. In the result, the room is often stuffy and hot. It also leads to increase in humidity, which causes the development of fungi and mold on the wooden elements of the roof;
- despite its artificial origin, this material is often subject to damage from rodents;
- over time the wood tends to shrink, leading to the formation of cracks between elements of the foam. To fix this impossible, and the only way to solve the problem is complete replacement of the insulation material.
Many believe that these disadvantages are more than advantages and the attic insulation foam is not justified. But one must admit that this is one of the budget options, which gives the least trouble, and at observance of technology of installation, it can be a alternative to the more costly solutions.
The attic insulation EPS: advantages, disadvantages and features
Extruded polystyrene is very similar to the foam. Their technical characteristics are almost identical, except for one significant aspect – erection. If the foam must be laid between the rafters, the Styrofoam is placed on top, eliminating the risk of cracks and gaps.
A useful tip! Some manufacturers offer buyers the plate with stepped joints, allowing you to make the connections more durable and reliable. Such fixation elements together – ideal for insulating roofs of the attic.
Among other advantages of roof insulation expanded polystyrene not to mention its light weight, which is combined with high strength and resistance to external influences. In addition, the service life of this material is quite large, subject to compliance with all of the technology of the attic insulation with foam polystyrene.
Styrofoam is not prone to putrefaction or decomposition, which is also important, when working on the roof. On top of it may be applied to any finish which gives an attractive appearance and provide extra protection.
Working with polystyrene alone just for fixing his suit a variety of adhesives and mastics. And in some cases even use a staple gun. So for installation no need to purchase any expensive additional items.
But for all these positive characteristics, we cannot forget the one, but rather a serious lack of insulation polystyrene foam on the inside walls and the roof – material has a higher level of combustibility. For owners this means a more careful and considered evaluation of all the utilities, in particular electricity.
Of course, manufacturers try to reduce this disadvantage to a minimum, but today we can confidently say that this question remains open, and each owner who made a choice in favor of insulating walls from the inside foam polystyrene, and is obliged to take care of their security.
Interesting! Not surprisingly, the other material most often chosen for the thermal insulation of the balcony. Polystyrene has a very low conductivity, while on the balcony it is almost not necessary to contact with electricity.
The attic insulation with mineral wool inside: a worthy alternative to PENOPLEX
Mineral wool is another insulation material that is used everywhere and widely known due to its characteristics. The name is derived from a fibrous structure similar to that of medical cotton wool. You can buy it in rolls, making transportation and installation even easier.
Low thermal conductivity is combined with the ability to absorb moisture. Although, if this happens, the material dries quickly without losing its appearance and technical characteristics.
Mineral wool refers to environmentally friendly and safe materials, that becomes evident even in that case, if the upper part of the roof is covered with metal, which is susceptible to heating under the influence of sunlight. In addition, mineral wool is used as acoustic barrier, and in contrast to foam, it is not of interest to rodents and various insects.
Roof insulation from inside with mineral wool need to take into account the fact that this is a fairly elastic material even though its original soft fibrous structure. He is quite able to hold between trusses with proper fixing.
A useful tip! In the process of cutting the mineral wool for stacking sheets between the rafters, it is necessary to leave a margin of about 2 cm. This will allow them to resist and not to fall even in the absence of additional fastening elements.
Roof insulation from inside with glass wool: whether to use this material
Its characteristics are similar to glasswool mineral wool, but in this case the fibers that make up the material, are more length, which generally increases the elasticity of the material. Above and strength and sound insulation ability. But upon contact with moisture mineral wool glass wool is inferior, absorbing more water.
The use of glass wool for insulation of residential premises does not result in any negative consequences for the health of residents. No toxic substances in the production process are not used. In addition, glass wool is characterized by low combustibility.
In the process of working with the material requires compliance with safety regulations, to avoid getting glass fibers in the air. Its small particles can cause irritation of mucous membranes, and therefore the use of a respirator and safety glasses is mandatory.
A useful tip! Sometimes the fiber glass wool can cause skin irritation, so in the process of working with it are advised to wear closed clothes and even gloves.
The roof insulation of the attic inside your hands with the use of stone wool
Stone wool is the most expensive option among the similar materials. But it is the most safe for human health and the degree of reliability significantly greater than all other options. Here are some basic benefits:
- the conductivity of this material is one of the lowest;
- stone wool remains completely eco-friendly even when heated;
- layer of this insulator is also an excellent noise barrier;
- the level of water vapor permeability is very high;
- this material does not burn;
- no mechanical load is not able to deform or stone wool affect its characteristics;
- the material has a long service life;
- to buy stone wool in the form of plates, which are easily cut into segments of a desired length and attached to the ceiling surface.
Due to the high cost of stone wool it is often trying to replace with mineral wool or glass wool. But such a change would not be complete, because the quality of insulation this is reflected pretty seriously. Many users claim that the price of the material is justified, and under condition of observance of technology of installation, it very quickly pays for the costs provoked.
What insulation is best for different roof structures
Types of insulation for roofs and ceilings. Mineral and synthetic insulation for the roof. The warming of the mansard roofs.
In addition, it is possible to carry out all insulation works of the roof of the attic inside your hands. Video instruction can demonstrate the procedure, and the recommendations of the experts will help to avoid common mistakes.
The attic insulation with cellulose wool is one of the most effective ways of dealing with the cold
Ecowool – pre-shredded material that blows out first in the gap, and then using the same method, put a layer between the ceiling and the rafters, using a specially designed device. This is an expensive procedure, but it allows you to completely eliminate all risks of drafts and provide the most effective insulation.
Ecowool is 80% of a fully natural material – paper, whose properties are very similar to those characteristic of wood. With its natural origin, the level of cellulose fibre insulation reduces heat loss no less effective than other materials.
One of the components, which is part of the green fiber – Bura. According to its characteristics it is a preservative of natural origin, which allows providing the wooden roof elements for effective protection against the formation of mold and mildew.
Apply a thin layer of ecowool, but it provides a decent level not only heat but also sound insulation. Their performance material keeps even after decades of use. So not too low cost is the only disadvantage of this material is quite justified by its excellent properties.
The attic insulation with polyurethane foam: the fundamentals of technologies and material features
Foam polyurethane foam is the most modern among all the listed ways to insulate the attic. Its main difference in the complete absence of joints or gaps, which can be a source of cold air. In addition, the operational period of this material, one of the longest, and is up to 30 years.
Polyurethane foams are not subject to shrinkage, even if the wooden roof of a house over time, gradually begins to deform. Its solid structure completely eliminates the risk of absorption of moisture, which eliminates the need for an additional vapor barrier.
But there are aspects that significantly complicate the process of using polyurethane foam as insulation of the roof from the inside. First of all it concerns the procedure, which requires complicated and expensive equipment. His purchase is almost never justified, so it is usually in the rental charge.
Another aspect is a complex technology which requires a certain experience in this sphere allows beginners to cope with this task efficiently.
A useful tip! The ideal option is to invite a team of workers who will arrive with their own equipment and just a few hours will make high-quality attic insulation for your home.
The attic insulation inside your hands using the heat insulation material is laid
Heat insulation material is laid is a kind of polyethylene foam – a technology that takes its place among the ways of modern insulation of walls and houses. Along with high sound insulation performance, it is worth noting the fact that the heat insulation material is laid has a high-quality coating of aluminum, which can be applied on one or two sides.
Here are a few arguments in favor of the use of heat insulation material is laid for the attic insulation:
- the material poses no threat to human health or the environment;
- an indicator of its thermal conductivity is very low;
- a closed system of air bubbles, characteristic of this material is an excellent barrier to steam penetration.
This method also does not apply to cheap and it requires the implementation of substantial investments. But, as practice shows, it is better to spend money on quality material and thus provide comfortable accommodation for many years to come.
It is not uncommon and combination of materials. Combined the characteristics of materials can be used for insulation together. For example, the perfect combination between mineral wool and polystyrene. The first is placed between the rafters and have the second closer to the edge of the roof. This combination will allow to achieve the desired effect and significantly save on the purchase of materials.
As you can see from the descriptions, each insulation has its advantages and disadvantages. The only question is to choose the most suitable option that will meet the performance according to price and quality of the material.
One of the most common mistakes made by the owners of the ill-considered choice in favour of the cheapest option for insulating attics. Videos and articles can showcase a positive aspects of a decision, but it is necessary to select taking into account all the nuances and characteristics. Attempts to save on the insulation materials can lead to the fact that after some time of operation, will have to repair or even completely replace the whole material.
The attic insulation inside your own hands: video and stages of work
Each of the materials has its own characteristics mounting and should be used only in accordance with the manufacturer’s recommendations. But if we talk about the General procedure, there are required stages that are almost always, regardless of the chosen material.
The first is laid a layer of waterproofing material to protect the insulation from the damaging effects of moisture. The film is laid overlapping so that a single layer was found on the other 10-15 cm Fastened with a construction stapler, and the joints are additionally glued with tape.
Then, if necessary, creates a crate. It is possible to use wooden slats with width of 8-10 cm to Strengthen their need to the rafters, positioning parallel to each other at a distance of 50-60 cm it is Very important to inspect each item individually, using the building level. This will prevent the occurrence of any defects in the roof in the future.
On the rafters or the sheathing is placed a heat insulator and attaches appropriate way for him. For example, if talking about using any type of cotton, sold in rolls, the material is cut into pieces of desired size, to put them between the rafters. The thickness of the insulation should be such as to fit the joists. Especially important if you decide to do wall insulation from the inside, mineral wool plus gypsum Board. In this case, all available space must be filled with insulation.
The top layer of this “cake” — layer vapor barrier material, which can be used plastic film, glassine or roofing material. As in the case of waterproofing, the selected material is deposited overlap. However, in this case, the mount is better done with the help of thin wooden slats, placing them in increments of 40-50 cm All joints must sealed with tape.
A useful tip! If you require the stacking of multiple layers of insulation material between each of them need to lay a vapor barrier film. This is especially true for cold regions.
As the final stage remains only to take care of the proper finish coating, which can be attached to the crate or in her absence, directly to the bars. Note should be taken weight used decorative panels, installing the most severe of them may require pre-mounting frame made of metal profile.
Main mistakes in the process of attic insulation
The end result of the work done with my hands, depends on how well respected technology and all the prescribed rules. Special care should be taken to the procedure for laying a waterproofing layer, since the materials that can absorb moisture in the future is dry, often becomes a cause of cold in the room.
Here are some tips from experts that you can use to minimize the negative consequences:
- if the angle of the roof does not exceed 13°, it will cause delays precipitation on the surface. As a result, the formation of rust and leak. All this may have a negative impact on the condition of the insulation, so it is important to ensure that the angle of inclination is large enough, before you start work;
- installation of thermal insulation material on the walls and the roof is not all that is necessary. You need to take care about the insulation of the Windows (Swedish technology). It is better to invite experts to be able to avoid leaks. Especially if you want to install Windows tilted;
- to provide a heat-insulating material ventilation and the ability to dry if wet should be left between the material and the roof clearance of approximately 2-3 cm;
- categorically you can’t miss at least one of the layers of vapor or waterproofing materials;
- if the insulation material thickness exceeds the rafters, their height can be increased independently filling extra rails.
These simple recommendations can help in the process, greatly increasing the quality of insulation. However, if for any reason there is doubt in abilities and experience, it is better to invite a specialist. Of course, it will have to pay, but in this case don’t have to do it twice.
Insulation gable end of the attic from the inside – not the most difficult challenge that might be faced by the owner of the house. Often on the top floor, the owners would like to have a balcony, insulation technology, which also has its own characteristics.
As for walls, for insulating the ceiling on the balcony can be used a variety of materials, although it is worth noting that there is often applies the technology warming of a loggia, which was not mentioned. To understand in detail the peculiarities of this process will help you to understand step by step instructions “warming of the balcony from inside your own hands.”
The attic insulation with mineral wool inside your own hands: video instruction
As an illustrative example, it is recommended to watch the training videos that describe in detail the technology of wall insulation from inside with mineral wool. This will allow to get acquainted with all the nuances and avoid the previously mentioned common mistakes.