In the old days, those who tried to give their footage of the picturesque was limited to a simple bed. With the advent of landscape design a garden acquired a stylish look. To build on the land decorative composition for each. Especially popular are the rock garden and rockeries – Alpine slide with stones at the dacha with his hands: photo rockeries and tips with step by step guide will help to equip the stone garden with minimal effort and cost.
- 1 Alpine slide with stones at the dacha with his hands: photo rockeries in landscaping
- 2 Types and styles of rockeries
- 3 How to make a rockery with their hands in the country: pictures and description of the main stages
- 3.1 Phase 1. Site selection
- 3.2 Stage 2. Site preparation
- 3.3 Stage 3. Drainage layer
- 3.4 Stage 4. Display of stones in the horizontal and terraced rockeries
- 3.5 Stage 5. Raise the plants
- 4 How to choose stones for rockeries: breeds and selection criteria
- 5 Plants for rockeries
- 6 Caring for rockery
Alpine garden with rocks at the cottage with his own hands: photo rockeries in landscaping
If you are just beginning to unlock the secrets of landscape design, it may seem that an Alpine garden and rockery is the same. The presence of stones and wild plants under natural mind is present in both versions. What is the difference?
The construction of the rock garden requires a lot of effort, so dominant in it are plants. Rocks in the Alpine slide, play a secondary role. Their task is to pick out a variety of plants and a hint of natural mountainous terrain. Presents online photo step-by-step instructions Alpine slide their hands will help to get acquainted with the peculiarities of its construction.
Well in rockeries, is the dominant stone. It is the combination of its rocks, textures and colours creates a General atmosphere of the rock garden. The plants here are only meant to dilute its harshness and coldness.
When looking at the photo rockeries in landscaping at first glance it seems that to create it without professional training. But if a lot of determination, you can easily master all the stages and soon to enjoy the beautiful rock garden on the site.
Plants for the Alpine slide: names and photos of landscaping with your own hands. The types of flowers and shrubs, the patterns of their placement. Recommendations on planting and design. The mixed borders in the landscape design. Read more
The types and styles of rockeries
Depending on the placement of all rockeries are divided into flat (horizontal) and terraced (volume). If the site has natural features of relief in the form of steep slopes or ravines, they can decorate with rockery surround. Using retaining walls, which will serve as terraces, you can also do multi-level rockery with their hands (step-by-step photo, which you can see on the Internet are proof of this). In the terraced hills of stone used stones of the same breed of rough treatment.
Using a flat rockeries can be divided functional areas, or hide unsightly places in the area. They do not require regular care and look attractive all year round. Created in a horizontal plane with the landing of conifers and other plants.
There is a stable, changeable and temporary rockeries. Let us consider each view:
- stable rockery is created for years to come. It requires careful selection of stones and plants. In this song for emphasis, use large stones. With the help of a small framed plant. For landscaping are selected conifers and perennials;
- a mutable type is characterized by a small number of large stones. The rockery area is filled with gravel or other small stones with the assignment of places for plants. If a song is tired, it can be changed, for example, removing the gravel and making his place a bed;
- temporary rockery is seasonal. Is in the design stones young seedlings with regard to their further growth. Prompt options for the design of temporary rockeries photo that you can use for example. A special form of temporary are mini rockeries. They can be as miniature flower beds. Very impressive looking plants planted directly into the recess of a large boulder.
Creating rockeries – a creative process and every designer puts in it a piece of his soul. That is why there are no identical compositions. But there are main directions of styles, for example:
- the English style. It is characterized by restraint, which indicates the presence algorithmic trees and perennial planting typical for the Central strip (mugwort, different types of cereals, etc.);
- in the Japanese style are mostly stable horizontal rockeries, which uses many stones of various shapes and sizes. Plants are presented only as background;
- European-style land plants, familiar to the middle band, to the whole composition in harmony with the local landscape.
Determine the style and rockery, you can proceed to its creation.
How to make a rockery with their hands in the country: pictures and description of the main stages
Initially, these masterpieces of landscape design was created only in status-of-town villas professional designers. Now, following step by step instructions, rockery with their hands can do it yourself at your summer cottage or in the yard of a private home.
A useful tip! Work on the creation of rockeries is better to start late fall or early spring. This will give time to settle the stones to do during the deposition did not violate the flowering of flora.
Below we consider in detail the stages of the construction of the rockery with their hands.
Step 1. Site selection
First we need to estimate the size of the site. In a small area a large heap of stones will look rough, and a rockery will be lost in the vast space. Inappropriate will look like a stone garden in the background of large fruit trees along the fence or near the building. A good choice for rockeries will be the lawn or relief differences.
Lighting also plays a role in the choice of location for the rock garden. If it is a rockery with a minimal set undemanding plant, it can be placed in the shaded areas. When the planned landing of undersized bulbs, for their proper growth, you need to choose a Sunny place.
Step 2. Site preparation
First and foremost, in the selected area is applied to the outlines of the intended rockeries. Then the top layer of soil is removed to a depth of about 30 cm, the resulting pit is cleared of roots and other rubbish. On the bottom of the pit is laid a geotextile.
Step 3. Drainage layer
Drainage in rockeries as necessary as and in rock gardens. Because excessive accumulation of water can lead to a strong subsidence of the stones and poor plant growth. This, of course, spoil the overall picture and may lead to the destruction of the rockery. For the drainage layer suitable crushed brick, crushed stone or pebbles. Then you need to seal everything with a layer of sand (about 20 cm), after which the ground is covered with soil and left for the natural shrinkage. The best would be a period of several weeks.
Step 4. Display of stones in the horizontal and terraced rockeries
Depending on the form of rockeries, the process of laying stones will vary. Let us examine in detail the necessary steps in either case.
When you create a horizontal (flat) established rockery on the ground stones laid out according to a planned scheme. They should be deepen at an angle into the soil halfway. In this kind of rockeries used large boulders that will become tapeworms in the composition, and small stone for sprinkling and decorating borders. For a more natural fit boulders with rough terrain.
With an artificial brook or marsh natural will look smooth, polished rocks. Examples of design in the horizontal plane seen in the photo rockeries, which are used in various types of stones.
In rockeries flat stones should be laid in a single layer. Often at the heart of a stone garden put a large textured stone. While the rest play the role of the background accentuates its beauty. Will look harmoniously in a single layer of masonry tuff, granite, limestone and Sandstone.
In the terraced (volume) rockeries should be used only rocks rough terrain. The boulders are laid out in cascade on a hilly slope in the form of stone walls of varying heights, lengths and shapes. Thus leave space for plants. The emphasis in volume rockeries exhibited symmetrically and evenly. Multilevel plot makes it very simple to create a terraced rockery or Alpine garden with rocks with his own hands in the country. Photos devices and design of the terraces illustrate the options of placing stones and planting.
Step 5. Raise the plants
A rockery is, first and foremost, the composition of the stones. But without plants, it is impossible to leave – the view will be dark and dull. Evergreen conifers, groundcover and perennial flowers, wild grains in moderation will liven up the stones and complete the composition of the natural landscape.
Plants for rockeries selected depending on the species, location and style. Before planting the plants, you must prepare the soil. For this territory rockeries filled with a special substrate and compacted. Then watered and left for natural settling. After that you can start planting.
Important! In order to avoid erosion and subsidence of the soil, the substrate must be put not less than every two years.
How to choose stones for rockeries: breeds and selection criteria
Some believe that the rockery can make, just adding a few rocks in the flower bed. But this is a misconception. The name “rockery” comes from the word “rock” which means “stone”. Therefore, the stones are the Foundation in creating this element of landscape design. Proper selection and combination of different species among themselves allow to create beautiful natural composition that can give a sense of unity with nature.
Landscape designers to create stone gardens and hills was chosen by the many types of stones. The most common is the use of tuff, shale, Sandstone, limestone or granite. It is their most often seen at a staged photo rockeries with their hands. Consider the pros and cons of each breed:
- granite is one of the most solid rock. It is resistant to weathering, slowly “aging.” Be aware that this breed is oxidized soil. Besides, they are very expensive;
- the main advantage of limestone – quick weathering. As a result, the corners are smoothed, the stones are very soon overgrown with moss, which gives rokario more natural. Limestone in landscaping, rockeries attaches great decorative value because of the diverse shades of colors: light blue, yellow, gray. With the help of limestone blocks often create a simulation of the cliffs and mountain slopes. Disadvantage is its ability to oxalacetate soil;
- porous tufa (travertine) is a lightweight and durable stone. Due to the special structure with a large number of pores like limestone, quickly disappears, grows old and overgrown with moss and lichens;
- Sandstone is thicker when compared with limestone and travertine, so it fades slower and longer retains the sharp corners. But he has a highly pronounced grain and beautiful color: red, camel, cream, gray. This is its decorative value for rockeries;
- slate – a wide range of shades of this breed, colour stability to fading has made it a favorite stone for landscape designers. Its varied shades: green, rusty, black, Golden, claret etc. It is quite hard rock, not giving in to the effects of weather, humidity.
A useful tip! To track look natural, opt for wild rockery stones weathered with no fresh chips.
With the help of pebbles, gravel, crushed slate, you can fill in a blank space and draw the borders rockeries with their hands (photo rockeries, decorated with fine stone, demonstrate it). For greater harmony and a better aesthetic appearance, use the same materials in the decoration of paths, retaining walls and other compositions on the site.
The main criteria for the choice of stone are:
- resistant to damage. Oddly enough, not all stones can be called durable. Some of them are under the influence of atmospheric phenomena susceptible to damage. For example, porous rocks such as Sandstone or limestone is characteristic to absorb moisture and dust, making the surface changes color, gradually loses its original appearance;
- decorative appeal. Every stone is individually beautiful and unique, but when creating rockeries important factor is the harmonious combination of different breeds together. Usually solo in the overall composition are several types of stones – they should attract attention by its size or structure. The rest of the understated variants play a secondary role. Their task is to create a decent background and make the finishing touches to the overall composition;
- natural and natural look. It should be remembered that the choice of the form and structure of the stones depends on the overall style of the plot and the rock slides. Where a stream runs in the stones are smooth and rounded. In mountain screes are more common boulders with sharp edges.
Plants for rockeries
First you must create a detailed scheme of planting. It all depends on your taste and imagination. The names and photos of plants for rockeries can be found on thematic online resources. There you can see the existing designs of landscaping stone gardens.
We must start with the planting of conifers – the base of plants in rockeries. For this fit of Western and globular arborvitae, juniper or virgin, cypresses, pines and other types of low-growing and slow-growing plants. Scenic will from rockery conifers in front of the house (photos options for planting conifers illustrate optimal placement). Coniferous planting is recommended in autumn or early spring.
A useful tip! If you are concerned that coniferous trees do not fit the soil in the area, we can arrange a rockery with conifers growing in large decorative pots.
The next step will be planting of ornamental deciduous shrubs. For this fit the Amur barberry, mock orange, Japanese Spiraea, cotoneaster, Potentilla, boxwood, etc.
The last step in landscaping is planting flowers. Rockery to look spectacular all year round, it is desirable to combine plants with different flowering time. Here, the important point is moderation in the colors of the flowers did not distract attention from the main element stone.
Perennial and groundcover for rockeries diverse. It can be primrose, saxifrage, young, astilbe, saxifrage, Phlox subulate, iberis, Ajuga. Melkolukovichnye crocuses, low daffodils, dwarf tulips and snowdrops will be the first to adorn a rockery in the spring.
Groundcover with flowers (geranium, periwinkle, saxifrage, creeping Speedwell, stonecrop, hare cabbage) planting crevices. In addition to their decorative appearance, they operate more protective for the soil function. The root system of these colors strengthens the soil, which prevents erosion. A special kind of “savagery” Rosario give cereal plants (fescue, miscanthus, ciliated perlovich, feather grass), and ferns.
A useful tip! If you have no experience or desire to care for plants, stop your choice on the unpretentious kinds.
If the composition is based on a stream or small pond near them should be planted moisture-loving plants, and between the stones to place those that are more resistant to drought. Low-growing bulbous plants love to bask in the sun, so they are best planted in well-lit areas. Also, when planting, you should consider the rock used in rockeries stones, because some of them can oxidize or oxalacetate soil.
Care for rockery
Rockeries require careful care, but quite without supervision, it is desirable not to leave. Mainly attention should be paid to plants.
The deciduous and conifers require periodic pruning: plants are cut as growths, the dead flowers are removed. You also need to monitor the emergence of weeds and the time to remove them. Periodically is to pour the mulch that inhibits weed growth and reduces moisture evaporation.
The land under listvennichny periodically loosen. In winter the plants in a stone garden better shelter. In 3-4 years after the formation of the root system, you can begin to fertilize.
Currently, there are many ways and step by step instructions how to make a rockery with their hands. With their help you can turn into a bright, cozy and stylish, even the most mediocre plot.