The bathroom is the room to which special requirements. This is due to the specific mode of its operation and a separate microclimate. To provide indoor protection against excess moisture or from the effects of leaking pipes waterproofing bathroom tile: which is better to use to create such protection?
- 1 Why do we need waterproofing the floor in the bathroom
- 2 Waterproofing bathroom: types of materials
- 2.1 Waterproofing bathroom tile: what it is better to choose
- 3 Technology waterproofing bathroom tile
- 3.1 Obmazochnoy waterproofing for bathroom
- 3.2 Gluing waterproofing for bathroom tile
- 4 Waterproofing of the bathroom with their hands
- 4.1 waterproofing the floor under the tile
- 4.2 Waterproofing of the wooden floor in the bathroom
- 4.3 Waterproofing shower without pallet
Why do we need waterproofing the floor in the bathroom
High humidity, temperature fluctuations, periodic formation of steam and condensate – all this has an adverse effect on finish, furnished bathrooms, on the floor. Moisture penetrates through the joints under the tile, accumulate under the tiles, in gaskets and joints of pipes and communications, creating comfortable conditions for the emergence and reproduction of mold, fungus, and harmful bacteria.
Waterproofing is needed to protect the concrete base of the bathroom from the adverse effects of moisture. The waterproofing layer serves as a guarantee for the safety of the walls, ceiling and floor in case of emergency situations with leaks, floods and pipe breaks.
Waterproofing bathroom: types of materials
Waterproofing materials for the bathroom floor and walls are very diverse. A traditional composition for waterproofing – bitumen, which is also impregnated covering and lining materials, however, modern industry offers a variety of other options. Their most popular types:
- coating materials in the form of mastic;
- gluing roll materials with waterproofing impregnation;
- pasty (for example, polymer compositions, the type of waterproofing “Tserezit”) and liquid compounds;
- penetrating waterproofing compounds, changing the structure of porous materials (e.g., concrete);
- dry mixtures for manufacturing of solutions;
- waterproofing plaster is designed not only for insulation but also for leveling surfaces;
- sprayable formulations on rubber or polymer-based, after hardening creates a barrier in the form of a film.
They have their own features, which depend on the area of application.
Waterproofing bathroom tile: what it is better to choose
The main selection criterion is a technical characteristic of the room. It is necessary to consider the following:
- bathroom to protect from moisture do not require so powerful waterproofing protection of Foundation;
- it is important that the cost of materials: they can be very expensive;
- the technology works should not be too difficult if the goal is to make the waterproofing of the bathroom under the tiles with his hands.
Waterproofing mixture be divided into one-component and two-component. The fundamental difference between them: the first is diluted with water, and a two-component mixture made with polymer emulsion.
Technology waterproofing bathroom tile
For bathrooms most often used or okleechnoy waterproofing materials based on bitumen, latex (for example, waterproofing “Knauf of Flagedit”) or polymers. They may differ in composition, application technology and cost, but the basic principles defining scope of work and select specific varieties of protective substances is the same.
Tile for backsplash in the kitchen. Photo tiles of different types and styles. How to choose a tile for apron in the kitchen, types of tile for the apron. The design of the apron in the kitchen.
It is better to protect against the all-pervading water: only the floor area or the entire area? Do I need to treat the walls and other surfaces? To distribute the waterproofing layer in three ways:
- Only on a floor surface with the formation of ledges on the walls to a height of approximately 20 cm.
- By sex and sections of the walls surrounding the plumbing.
- Through the floor and walls, treating the vertical surface along the entire height.
Sometimes the same type of material on horizontal and vertical surfaces have to be applied in different ways. This should be considered when choosing a device technology of waterproofing.
Obmazochnoy waterproofing for bathroom
This type of protective coating is performed by applying a plastic composition. Its thickness, depending on the number of layers may vary from 1 mm to several cm Primary advantage obmazochnoy waterproofing – when using it creates a seamless, durable but flexible coating. The advantage is that it does not need a perfectly flat surface and can be applied on any basis. Application of coating compositions as waterproofing the floor under the tile in the bathroom is preferable in cases when the need to screed.
A useful tip! In General, for a waterproofing layer with a thickness of 2 mm per 1 m2 of the surface will need 3.2 kg of bitumen mastic. Therefore, its use is one of the most budget options.
The specific material depends on the location of its use:
- On horizontal surfaces – bitumen and bitumen-polymer mastics, pastes on the basis of oxidized bitumen modified with additives to increase elasticity and strength with a decrease in toxicity.
- The compositions, creating on the surface a thin film is diluted to the liquid bitumen or mastic, water-resistant varnishes or paints for wood or metal elements. On the floor, these substances out and evenly spread with a rubber spatula, on the other surface applied by brush or roller in two layers.
Okleechnoy waterproofing for bathroom tile
Okleechnoy waterproofing is made of waterproof coating in the form of films, sheets or coils fixed in several layers with a special adhesive blends. To get tight joints, the sheets overlap.
Important! Sometimes to secure the sheets okleechnoy waterproofing is applied heating the edges with a blow torch, odnako this method is unsafe.
The advantage of waterproofing using fining is a low cost material. However, this will require calculation of its quantity, accurate cutting, and the flooring and the alignment of the panels is a time – consuming process. Gluing the material after cutting should be laid out to lie down during the day.
Surface level and after complete drying of screed and plaster covered with primer, gidroizolirovat all welds and, if necessary, is applied to polymer clay. Then begin laying tile anywhere on the floor. After formation of the first layer of waterproofing is satisfied with the rim, setting on the walls, a height of about 20 see also Possible additional protection zones adjacent to sanitary engineering. When pasting the walls of the sheets overlap from the bottom up.
Waterproofing in the bathroom with their hands
Video and photo instructions, common on the Internet, will help not only to choose insulating materials, but also to study the technology of their application.
Before you begin the waterproofing, you need to clear the room of debris and clean the surface of the coating, closing up the injury. If the walls were leveled prior to waterproofing to withstand the interval of two weeks.
Waterproofing the floor under the tile
Despite the fact that 3D or screed and anti-slip “stone carpet” themselves ideal waterproofing coating and spread (despite the high cost),remains a traditional one trim tile.
Before starting work, all lines of the pair of walls and ceilings, and seams of the panels and plates extend up to 2 cm Longitudinal grooves and seams in the corners degreased and fill self-adhesive, waterproof cord or silicone material, and then stick waterproofing tape.
Then the floor, walls, ceiling, and all corners should be cleaned with a solution against mold and mildew.
A useful tip! The simplest antiseptic solution can be prepared independently, mixing water, medical, and ammonia.
First waterproofing composition treated wall. Doing this with a brush, applying the mixture only vertical or horizontal strokes. After that, proceed to the processing floor. To make it, often use gasoline or other strong solvents. Solution for floors thinner than the walls, it is applied by brush or roller.
Important! The room in which the work is going to be constantly ventilated. To avoid poisoning by vapors of the mixture it is desirable to use a protective mask.
After all surfaces have been treated several times, the room is finally ventilated and subjected to drying during the day. While on the floor you can’t walk, but should also protect it from dust, moisture and foreign objects. Then you can start casting the screed and finishing.
Tip! For a perfectly flat vertical surfaces, treated with waterproofing of the walls can be covered with moisture resistant drywall.
Waterproofing of the wooden floor in the bathroom
Waterproofing materials for bathroom, decorated tree, to be specific. It is recommended to use a mixture of liquid rubber with activator.
A useful tip! The bathroom with wooden finishing in addition to the usual moisture barrier, use an external hydrophobic coating.
Wood veneer must be isolated very carefully to protect it from swelling, mold and decay, further treating the water-repellent varnishes, paints or preservatives to protect from condensation.
A brief sequence of the waterproofing of the wooden floor is as follows:
- To clean the rough floor, to lay it on the joists, vapor barrier film and the insulation slab. Seal joints between joists and boards with sealant. If the insulation used mineral mats on top to put a coat of waterproof plywood.
- Apply the waterproofing using a roller. After drying of the first layer to check its uniformity and smoothness, if necessary add a second.
- To pack topcoat.
The waterproofing in this way can be arranged in a particularly wet areas including saunas and swimming pools.
Waterproofing shower without pallet
Shower without tray requires a special approach to waterproofing:
- Device ladder for water drainage. The surface of the housing ladder is displayed below the floor level: depending on the location of the drain bias is 2 to 3%.
- The drain pipe connects to the sewer and fixed with concrete.
- The joints between the ladder and the floor is filled with an elastic profile and is treated with a waterproof glue.
- The next step is the actual waterproofing of the room, covering and lining materials.
Almost all of the waterproofing work can be done independently, without attracting specialists. The cost of most materials is low. Careful observance of technology will help to protect the premises of the sanitary unit from excessive moisture and even leaks and floods.